Saturday, July 9, 2011

My past few days in pictures

I went to Incheon on Thursday night. It was rainy and I was really tired, but I like to get away from Seoul at least twice a week. We had burgers at a restaurant named BM Factory. I know, that name seems rather odd for a food place and not a colon cleansing place. The day before I bought a peephole (as in a peephole for doors) to make taking pictures with my old camera a little more interesting.
The next day, on Friday, I met Aram for an hour before her hanja (Chinese characters) class. After that I went to eat at TGIF with some friends. This was the ceiling at the place where Aram and I met.
Today, Saturday, Aram and I ate at a handmade dumpling place, Jihasonmandu, and drank some nice hand-drip coffee at Club Espresso, both in Buamdong in Northern Seoul. We walked a ton! In Buamdong we happened upon a museum devoted to the artist Whanki (whose name I didn't know before today). He makes really cute and thoughtful designs, simple, but with an underlying pattern. (I stole this apt description from Aram.) There were also some touching exhibits using Hangul and cuneiform and Minoan B. No pictures were allowed inside the museum, but I pretended to not be aware of that fact. The first picture is of something amazing, but I couldn't capture its amazingness. It is a bunch of Hangul floating in the air in a room with pulsating light. The Hangul reflect the light and project little shimmering fish bodies onto the opposite wall, sometimes making a recognizable Hangul-shape. It was pleasant.
 
On the way to the dumpling restaurant, a spray painted word for honey, 꿀, but it's been done twice in close proximity, so, 꿀꿀, which is also the sound a pig makes when it snorts. A Tyler sort-of-joke.
A mimosa tree, reminder of home.
Fin

2 comments:

  1. Very nice pix - Aram looks very posh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a tree we recognize from where we came from to make us feel like it's all one planet and everywhere is home. Nice pics and words, Tyler.
    Love from Arkansas,
    Garin

    ReplyDelete