Sunday, June 5, 2011

문정지구, Munjeong's new area

Just outside of my window, there is a large green expanse; Aram says that it is going to be a new neighborhood. Around dusk some days I see two people maybe 20 meters apart. One is picking leaves off of bush. The other is standing, staring, waiting for the other. Sometimes also I see two vehicles driving on the dusty road, going in divergent directions. They move very slowly across the wide green. There are bulldozers resting in the greenery, too. I have never seen them moving, perhaps because they wake up after I have gone to work. There are large bundles covered in black plastic, large bundles covered in green plastic. There are the words 배동현 made with white spray paint. For me, this neighborhood waiting to be born is a blessing, because it fills my entire window and eases my mind.
Like a mischievous child, I want to go for a trek through that greenness, but, like a scared adult, I know that that is trespassing on no man's land.
On the map in Naver, I can see how they've planned how the area will be divided: into a park, a neighborhood square, green spaces, a courthouse, and business districts.

I sincerely hope that they take their time




Update 2011/06/13

Here are some photos I took the other day of the area. It's blissfully empty. I feel perhaps more tempted than ever to go walk around there. Perhaps seeing this fills me with some undue melancholia and a little bit of guilt. I really wish that it would stay green. And then I think that the place where I'm living now was once a green bunch at one time, too? 
I think I saw a church back in there...? It doesn't look very orchestrated, so I'm not sure how construction is being carried out.
My apartment building is the grey one just to the right of the middle.

2 comments:

  1. Go walk in it Tyler. The most desolate feeling is to have nowhere to roam alone hid in nature. She will give you sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Garin. :) I'm needing to find some sanctuary these days!

    ReplyDelete